Monday, January 11, 2010

Fourth Newspaper Salesman in Two Months

*Doorbell chime* *Knock knock knock!* *Doorbell chime* "Hello!?" *Knock knock knock!*
(I open door)

"Oh! You're a foreigner!"
Short, bald, snapping turtle-looking man in a khaki overcoat.
"...Oh, yeah..."
"Oh, well then you can't read Japanese can you."
"Uh...no, I can't."
"You don't get the newspaper, right?"
"Oh, no...the newspaper people already came before..."
"Oh. Where are you from? Brazil?"
"Uh, America."
"Oh, America?! Wow, but you can't read Japanese, can you?"
"Uh, well...I can read Japanese, but..."(stupid pride, I knew I shouldn't have said that)
He leaned his face closer and his body more into the doorway.
"Oh, so then, one of your parents must be Japanese, right? Your mother or father?"
"Oh, I'm Mexican-American."
"Oh, really? Well, okay. You still don't want a newspaper? They're cheap!"
"Oh no, that's okay, thank you, I'm probably fine."
"Okay then, 'I'm sorry' (in English), thank you, goodbye."
He leaned over behind the other side of my door to get his bag and I closed the door.

No comments: