Thursday, January 7, 2010

Oh yeah

This is what I was thinking of first.
I remember when I was first learning about the "Age of Imperialism" (like it ever stopped) in school and thinking that it must have been scary at that time because everyone was trying to grab land and take over different countries and even if you didn't want to you almost had to to keep up with everyone else and not get taken over yourself. Now, I am capable of understanding there is the possibility of protecting yourself without being forced to attack others. Maybe Japan's leaders from the late 1800s on did not.
Was World War II the horrible stage in which Westerners made it clear that only they had the "right" to colonize other people, which they continued to (try to) do from then on?
Did Japan not develop its appreciation (?) for its own culture and history until recently, after being defeated in war they had preceded with massive disposal of old culture for a flashy new Western life? Or had it been there since before?

And is there something that Western nations, such as the U.S., fear still in this retention of non-Westernized identity?

1 comment:

waldmart789 said...

rar tigers rar

speaking of Japan and imperialism and WWII....

I was at the onsen last night and I met an 87-year-old guy who just randomly started talking about the war... at 20 he took his compulsory military exams (and talked for a while about loyalty to the emperor and what happened to draft resisters and stuff), joined the navy, and shipped to the Andaman islands, off India, then still a British colony....

I had to look up what happened on Andaman when I got back but it's really interesting! I didn't know (or I had completely forgot... I wish I knew more about modern Indian history) about India's alliance with Japan, but in any case, look it up WICKED P.D.A.

So this old guy was talking about being on Andaman and interacting with the Indians there (like trading Japanese cigs for bananas and other food in simple English)


so yeah, not really what you were writing about, but I thought I'd share anyway

(I tried to write some of my thoughts on your questions, but then I couldn't articulate them quite how I wanted and I have to leave now... but it'd be interesting to talk about all this stuff... where's a seminar when you need one, huh? Maybe I'll attempt to write later or maybe I'll forget)