Monday, January 26, 2009

Assortments

Assorted Jelly Beans:

My Wikipedia flow from yesterday at work: vex punk rock -> los illegals -> the plugz -> los cruzados -> tito and tarantula -> once upon a time in mexico -> robert rodriguez. I learned a lot. For example, did you know Willy HerrĂ³n was not only artist/muralist of Asco fame, but also the lead singer of Los Illegals? I most certainly do now.

I ate a kiwi with the skin on today.

I realized the other day: I am moving further away from law school, and more and more toward grad school. Then more and more towards art.

Another realization: studying identity and it's construction is actually not very far removed from living performance art, and actually people represent themselves and their conceptions of themselves through art, and is that why people study art and art history and it's not just a bunch of stuffy old white-centric volumes about the genious of the arch and the Italian Renaissance, and what does the experimental (Chicana/0) art of the 60s-80s mean about identity formation at that time, and how do Chicana/os today represent themselves through experimental art forms such as noise music and live performance, and how do people in Japan construct, and apparently essentialize, their own culture and identity based on a seemingly unmoving idea of what is Japanese and what is not and what is traditional and what is not, and how do governments seize upon this to bolster their own agendas, and is this odd nationalism actually a cultural trait or something that was instituted by politicians in the past, and couldn't it, shouldn't it be a combination of both and more, and in what is it rooted, and I keep having the thought that damn, this culture is a huge conglomeration of an infinite number of influences from other cultures, but isn't that what any culture is, but no, this seems different, more so, but then I loose my train of thought because I'm typing this all out as I go now and my thoughts have gone in new directions.
But isn't that interesting?

2 comments:

Carey said...

Yes! Keep it going

Anonymous said...

exactly how i feel and why i am now okay with my major in asian american studies. :) yay you george. you're the best.