Thursday, January 29, 2009

Moment(s)

I think I'm going to start changing the way I use this blog. Not because I'm going to make the decision to, but because it's just the way things are going. I feel that creation is something uniquely, and maybe most, beautiful in its moment, in spontaneous expression of thought and emotion. I've found myself making music by this idea more and more, and when I write in my journal, I often do it that way. So here's something that's been tugging at my mind all week, but really struck me just now:

This school's "International Food Week" is stupid. Monday - Brazilian, Tuesday - Vietnamese, Wednesday - Italian, Thursday - Japanese, Friday - Russian. School lunch is Japanese food every day of the year, and even in these five, infinitesimal days they cannot resist putting in Japan. Plus the fact that all the meals so far have just been small variations on the same Japanese food we get all the time anyways - rice, a soup, a little salad-type thing, maybe some small fish, and a fruit. As I look at the school flyer describing the food, I see: the days of the week with their corresponding country written next to them, the katakana (Japanese alphabet for "foreign" words) reading of the foods and the Japanese description of what's inside, a photo of the food, and a little picture of the country's flag sometimes accompanied by a cute little ethnically essentialized cartoon of a happy person from that country. Thursday, however, has none of this; only a little chart that reads, "Japanese Food's Good Points." All you have to do is read this to know you're in for another lesson in the way people can continue to create cultural characteristics out of nothing.

"It has a sense of the four seasons. There are lots of different ingredients and it has good nutritional balance." These are things I've heard over and over again since I've been here. People always ask me, "Do you have four seasons in America? Japan does." And then, "Oh yeah, in foreign countries, people have really bad nutritional balance. In America, don't you just eat bread all the time? Japanese food has very good nutritional balance and is good for you." I don't even want to get into taking apart all the different parts of this sentiment, but I'll mention that when people here do talk to me about the massive amount of unhealthy food in Japan (ie. fried shrimp, fried chicken, fried pork, pretty much fried anything) and the diseases caused by this, they say it's because of foreign influence and that "traditional" Japanese food is not like that.

But what even is "traditional" Japanese food, or even just "Japanese" food? If you look around any town, the three most prominent foods are curry, grilled meat, and ramen, hailing from India, Korea, and China respectively. After that, okonomiyaki and yakisoba are pretty popular and make appearances at pretty much any festival. But where do those two foods even come from? They are part of the Japanese food canon, but how long have they even been around? From what I've picked up, the origins of okonomiyaki and yakisoba, which are much stronger in taste than most foods that are traditionally Japanese (something that is admittedly also pretty unclear), probably lie sometime in the Meiji era, when richer sauces from Western countries began being imported. And I mean, okonomiyaki is made out of flour dough, not an ingredient usually considered "traditionally" Japanese. After these, udon, soba, and tempura are pretty main staples of cheap food here, but I don't know their histories so I can't make any guesses about them.

But if all these different foods which are so quintessentially "Japanese," and consumed in such huge volumes by Japanese people, do not even come originally from Japan, what makes them Japanese? Are they made Japanese by the unique way people here modify them to fit their own tastes? If so, is the essence of "Japanese food" found in the commonalities between those changes?

"It includes lots of fish, soy beans, vegetables, and ingredients from the sea. It makes it so harmful substances do not build up in your system." Japanese food does have a lot of those ingredients, and I'm not going to try to question that last part since I don't know anything about its scientific properties.

This is the most ridiculous one, though: "There are different ways of cooking it." I don't know since when having a variety of cooking styles has been a uniquely Japanese characteristic...

I've heard the things about different ways of cooking and good nutritional balance so many times and I really wonder from where they come. The four seaons thing, too.

So, there you go. I have effectively written on an idea that struck a chord in me until I lost my train of thought and don't really feel that provoked by it anymore.

I'm hungry.

8 comments:

waldmart789 said...

don't forget that if you don't supplement your pure white rice with some sort of other roughage, you'll get beri beri and be crippled or die! That's a special characteristic of Japanese food too! So is arsenic poisoning from fish! Don't forget!

Also, a lot of "Japanese" food comes from China... gyoza? anpan and nikuman? stir-fry? soba, somen, udon, ramen? (or every other noodle in the world, for that matter). Tempura came from Portuguese missionaries. Tonkatsu and korokke are Meiji-era imports from Europe. Obviously they didn't always have curry.... Even nikujaga isn't Japanese--it's a sort of corrupted version of British food... I guess it's been around long enough and become Japanized enough to call it Japanese?

waldmart789 said...

OH and a lot of the most common Japanese food today is common because it IS today....... people can transport food quickly over long distances and they have the money to afford it... 100 years ago the people in my town were eating wild boar, not sashimi...... even just 60 years ago most people were scraping by on vegetables and millet and bugs and silkworm cocoons. Now THERE'S some Japanese food for you....

waldmart789 said...

I guess everybody calls hamburgers and hotdogs American and not German...... but then again I think everybody kind of knows that most of the stuff we eat came from somewhere else.....

Also kabocha came to Japan from Central America via the Portuguese..... same with satsumaimo

K I'm done for sure

You and Me said...

haha whoa, i did not know that much.

yeah, i realized after i wrote that, it didn't really come out like what was actually in my head. more like...a run-on rant, hah; i actually lost the original thing i wanted to say only a couple of paragraphs in, but i figured there was something of value in there so i didn't delete the post. i think it had to do with the lack of sleep i'd had the night before, hah.

that's so crazy about the tempura, i didn't know that. OR the kabocha and satsuma imo thing! Or the nikujaga thing!
is that scraping by thing because of post-war?
wait, what's the thing about beri beri and dying from not supplementing pure white rice?
actually i just read an article after i wrote that that was pretty interesting. according to it, the curry that Japan has today is actually based on curry that Japanese emissaries found in Britain, not the Indian one. I thought that was really interesting.

Yeah, that's really interesting, about the ability to transport foods over the entire country so fast. Totally true, I didn't even think about that. I wonder how much diets have changed since 100 years ago! As a sidenote, I couldn't help but laugh to myself when I passed the meat aisle in the market the other day and this little jingle was playing, "O-niku! O-niku suki suki, o-niku suki suki, o-niku suki suki, o-niku suki suki!" partially just cuz it was really funny sounding and then also because it wasn't even legal to eat meat before the Meiji era (right?).

Haha, yeah I thought about that thing with "American" food, but then I had the same thought you had, "Everyone knows (I think?) American food is almost completely just a big mix of stuff from other countries."

Dude, also interesting, I just found out karuta comes from Portuguese card games. I always thought the word sounded like a katakana word...and somehow familiar...but it's always spelled in hiragana, you know?

I never realized food could be so interesting.

Oh yeah, slightly embarassing, but i didn't realize katsu was a loan-word until last August...

You and Me said...

whoa mine was long too...

waldmart789 said...

YAH WAR

And polished white rice is really low in nutrients because all the good stuff is in the husk (you know whole grain this n' that).... so I think it's like thiamine or something, but basically if you don't supplement your rice with some sort of other roughage then you get beri beri and die of malnutrition. It was common in SE Asia and among rich Japanese people who were too hoity-toity to eat stuff like barley, buckwheat and millet and OH NOES brown rice.

Haha when my friend in the next town over had some neighbors over for dinner right after he arrived, he served them brown rice because it's healthier than white and they actually got offended and refused to eat it and never talked to him again!

Dan said...

my god JAPAN YOU ARE FULL OF LIEEESSSSSS.

next you'll be telling me middle aged balding white men aren't all the rage there

Anonymous said...

i think this is a beautiful truth:
"I feel that creation is something uniquely, and maybe most, beautiful in its moment, in spontaneous expression of thought and emotion."

i'm finding that to be true as well.

and i think food is an interesting part of culture because cultures always mix and blend and there never is an authentic. "traditional" sounds like it's just their way of creating definitions between what used to be and what is and putting what used to be up on the oh so missed pedestal.

i wish i could articulate myself better. but i trust you know what i mean, nahmean?