Thursday, June 18, 2009

Going to bed early tonight

(Joe Bataan, Brenton Wood, The Cookies)

I was just looking at the back of this calendar JET sent out to its English teachers for free some months ago. It always catches my eye when I'm looking through my piles of papers, cleaning up, and this time I took some more time with it. It's basically a picture of a whole bunch of Japanese kids on a large, colorful playground that looks like it'd be any 4-year old's dream come true. For a while, I just looked at that picture, at the the bright, smiling faces on all the kids' faces. Then, the feeling that I've so often gotten looking into that picture blossomed into a thought with the extra time I gave it: 'and all these kids are different from the ones I teach every day.'

It's amazing. Every one of these kids is beautiful and unique. Each one has their own personality, things that make them happy, people they love, and people who love them. It is amazing that there are so many beautiful children in the world.

Though it is a little more selfish to say, each and every one of these children has the ability to change another person in amazing ways. In the time we've spent together, the children in my town have changed me incredibly. Maybe our society needs children to keep healthy and sane.

4 comments:

waldmart789 said...

maybe???

for sure!!!!

Anonymous said...

children are pretty damn amazing--full of hope and understanding the potential of the world. one of my favorite song lyrics is from kimya dawson. she sings: looks little you in the eye / each time you encounter a child.

Popeye said...

this is such a happy post. it made me feel emotional.

Dan said...

naw, kids are pretty overrated, bro. puppies are cuter and they don't eventually grow up and get all angsty and stab you in your sleep because you found their pot stash and grounded them for a couple of months. but I'm glad you're in a good mood.