Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hello 2.0

Hello.

Internet got cancelled, but should be up in a bit.

Well...I'm not going to write anything about life on a large scale because I myself don't even know what's going on with that! Hey!

So, let me say this...

Roy Orbison is amazing!
First thing that got me into him was the incredibleness of his voice in Dream Baby and Goodnight, but now that I'm listening to some of his other ones, like Only the Lonely, Running Scared, and Leah, I'm witness to a whole new world of lyrical awesomeness! Oh my gosh, the words that make up these stories of songs and the rest of the music that matches them are just amazing. Talk about some weird, deep, and complex emotions and stories being conveyed by a unique and awe-inspiring voice, all in a 2-3 minute song. I am definitely inspired.

I've also been getting more and more into Ricky Nelson (would like to hear some more, but I love his version of I Don't Have Anything), the Chiffons (really trippy, good pop I think; feels like you can hear the change in musical styles at the time), and the Everly Brothers (Their version of All I Have to Do is Dream is incredible! and I had it in my head all day yesterday). Chuck Berry is amazing. All I have is No Particular Place to Go, but I can see why people call this guy the master of guitar now. That playing is just brilliant.

So, here I am in a friend's apartment, using her internet. Some people, sounded like two girls maybe, just rang the doorbell...rang the doorbell again and then tried the door handle. Uh...I'll just act like I'm not here, I suppose.

It's been really hot lately, so much so that you get pretty drained by sunset, that is unless you...eat your EEL! Hm, I love eel so much, it's become a Japanese food very much necessary to my diet! Apparently, it's a summer specialty, although you can get it all year round, thought up however many years ago by wise ancestors to combat the heat fatigue of the intense, humid Japanese summer. I've been told the oil in the eel is good for kicking out the energy (i.e.: 元気が出る!). Or jams, whatever you see fit. But besides that energy goodness, it just tastes delicious. Probably the most prolifically eaten (haha, I'll probably never use that phrase again) eel is known as unagi and is eaten teriyaki style. Recently, though, I gave anago, another type of eel, another chance in its tempura form, and that was really good, too.

I think, though, the original is still my favorite. Man, the people at the local restaurant are actually getting to know me now since I've been coming in like 3-4 times a week now. Hey, I'm actually using one of those repeat-customer cards now, (yes!).

Oh!, and also! I started reading Haruki Murakami's new book, 1Q84! The title's pronounced "ichi-kew-hachi-yon," which in Japanese is the same pronunciation as 1984. Ooooooo. I don't know if there's any correlation or not, but the book is supposed to be horror. I love it so far, even though I'm only 24 pages in (really, 13 or so, since the book actually started on page 11), because the main character loves history and a whole page or so has been just on her imagining what Czechoslovakia was like after World War I. That plus, music has played a major driving part so far and a mystical, kind-of-creepy-kind-of-intriguing taxi driver has given instructions out of a freeway by an unknown staircase with the warning of "Do not be fooled by appearances. There is only one reality. You are about to do something not considered normal, and once you have, things will begin to seem different to you. I have had this sort of experience before." It's just so exciting to read a work in another language right as soon as it comes out, before the translation is even done and published yet! (I actually don't know if the English translation's out or not, I just said that). But in any case, yes, it's very exciting and I'm trying to read it every night to keep myself in it.

I'm out.

2 comments:

waldmart789 said...

Unagi! Hm, I wonder where I can get some near me.... Nobody ever talks about unagi or anything like that... maybe I'm too deep in noodle country...

I was at a bookstore and I almost bought 1Q84 but for some reason I talked myself out of it. Dang it why did I do that? Oh well, if it's good as you say, then maybe I should make this right.

tiffchum said...

Let me know exactly how good 1Q84 is. Fingers crossed they'll put it in English so I can enjoy it at some point. ;p

Also, I just had an eel dish for dinner myself! I forget what it's called, but it's basically stir-fried eel with onions, veggies, peppers, and it's a really popular summer dish in Korea. Wish I could see you sometime soon <3