Saturday, December 26, 2009

You know...

Usually, I think of the similarities between Latino/Chicano and Japanese culture, you know, like emphasis on the family, respect for elders, and all that good stuff. Today, I was reminded of a major point of difference: planning. Oh my gosh, why does everybody here have to make a plan for every little thing they do?

Another lesson in living in Japan: when your boss/mentor suddenly gives you a call a little ticked off that you haven't told him your family's plans for when they visit so he knows what days to take them sightseeing, is very taken aback to learn that you don't have any specific plans to work around, but still wants to meet to make up a plan, you cancel your own plans for the night so you can talk to him.

Although I've heard of people canceling dates and outings with friends which they've been planning on for a long time because their boss wants them to do something suddenly, this is the first time I've experienced it. I guess it's another part of learning to live in this country. Would've been a sweet show though...

No comments: