Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Talking Heads

Listening to Talking Heads on the way up to Iya Valley this weekend sparked an urge in me to try listening to them again, and, oh my gosh, this music is awesome! I like it way more than I did when I first gave them a listen so many years ago. I can totally relate to the way David Byrne sings too!, haha. Actually, I think most of the singing I do in my songs sounds like his more than any other established or famous singer I've heard, if I had to choose. Pretty cool. I really like the seemingly random sounds he makes that don't really narrate anything directly but put out a lot of feeling and atmosphere into the song. I just listened to "77" and "More Songs About Buildings and Food" and, man, those things are like weird dance parties in themselves. It seems like you can hear some kind of hints at trancing into long repetitive loops, too; it's just that these ones end early instead of actually going on, into, and through them like lots of songs do. I think. It reminds you, and lets you feel more directly, the influence of disco. Could I be moving out of the early-mid-60s and into the more recent late-70s-80s? Can I straddle both at the same time?! Actually, David Byrne's singing style also reminds me of ? from ? and the Mysterians; it's just a little more spastic and less soul, pop, and rock. Onto more music!

1 comment:

Carey said...

You read Byrne's blog, right? It's super. http://journal.davidbyrne.com/