Sunday, November 9, 2008

Uff

Oh man, I just watched 28 Weeks Later and am depressed and frightened.

Zombie movies are awesome, but I always finish them shaken up. Really though, 28 Weeks Later and 28 Days Later are like pieces of art - the cinematography, the music, the motifs; the makers just put it all together in a way that makes me feel like I am beholding art. I think that is partly what gave me this familiar feeling when I watched both of them, the sensation of watching a vivid nightmare unfold before and around me.

The scary thing about 28 Days/Weeks Later is that humans created the disease themselves through science. There are so many plausible scenarios in which humans could create a highly destructive and unstoppable disease through their own scientific means. That's what makes thinking even scarier after watching a movie like that.

I was told today that Michael Crichton died last week of cancer, which he'd had for a while. Man, that's really sad. I grew up reading his books and really can't even comprehend the world without his presence. Cancer.

Also found out a JET for my city died three years ago in a car accident coming back from the city. I am affected heavily by reminders of life's mortality. It all makes me think a lot, and really feel a bit paranoid.

Tonight I will be doing a lot of thinking and asking questions. It usually takes me a while to ride through these sort of things, but I suppose it's important to think about them. Maybe not so much, but perhaps people learn how to deal with, consider these things the more we live.

1 comment:

Dan said...

while your tone in this entry sounds pretty serious...

I'd just like to say that 28 weeks later pales compared to 28 days.

and you've heard my rant on fast zombies. FAST ZOMBIES?!? Bah. Zombies are symbols of what humanity became through mindless consumerism and greed - slow, sedentary, brainless things that do the same thing day to day with no other thought.

and yeah, I feel you on how fragile life is...there's been a lot of suicides in this country recently.

but...we have happy things to be happy about, yeah? And things to look forward to. Thank you President Obama